Vigorous intensity activities, the kind that makes you breathless and red in the face, are defined as activities that burn more than 6 METs.
MET is the ratio of a person’s working metabolic rate relative to their resting metabolic rate. One MET is the energy it takes to sit quietly. One MET is equivalent to a caloric consumption of 1kcal/kg/hour.
- Hiking / walking briskly up a hill
- Jogging at 6 mph (10km/h)
- Bicycling fast (14–16 mph)
- Swimming fast (butterfly, freestyle)
- Carrying heavy loads (> 20kg)
- Competitive sports (eg Basketball, Soccer, Hockey games)
Vigorous exercise linked to living longer